Mount Charles Methodist Church was built in the 1990’s, after many years work in design, fundraising, applying for grants and eventually the actual building.
As we seek to move forwards as a Church, we also look back at our history and heritage, which have impacted us as individuals and as a congregation over the years.
There were originally three Methodist churches in the Mount Charles area, one on Victoria Road (called Victoria Road), and two on Cliften Road, just around the corner. There was also one in Charlestown, a sea port just down the road. After the closure of the one half way up Cliften Road in the 1940s, in the 1970’s the two remaining churches amalgamated to form Mount Charles. A number of years later, the former Victoria Road chapel was demolished and re-built to create the Mount Charles church we know today.
The Mount Charles Ward is in the eastern area of St Austell, named after the mining entrepreneur Charles Rashleigh (1747-1823). He also built the port of Charlestown in 1801 to export china clay, copper and tin. Charlestown and Porthpean being our nearest beaches. Until recently, Charlestown was the home port of ‘Square Sail’ and their tall ships, where have been involved in many films, and TV programmes including Doctor Who. Charlestown is also the location of the ‘Shipwreck and Heritage Centre’.