St Dennis Methodist Church and Community Centre opened on 2 June 2019. The new building replaces three previous chapels in the village – Providence, Hendra Rd and Carne Hill. The new building has been planned not only for worship but also for joint work with our Anglican friends at St Denys Parish Church, and for community use. When complete, it will be equipped with a soft play area and café, and be the base for a Children and Families worker employed by Churches Together in St Dennis.
The Parish Church of St Denys lies within an Iron Age hill fort 700 feet above sea level. Replacing an 11thCentury Norman church, it was dedicated to St Dionysius (Dennis) before 1327. St Dennis Methodist Church is not far away and can act as a hall for the Parish Church. From here you can look across the country side with its wind turbines and incinerator, reminding us that Cornwall has long been on the cutting edge of technology, as the ruins of mining engine houses testify.
There is a favourite Methodist hymn that reminds of our faith:
“This, this is the God we adore – our faithful, unchangeable friend
Whose love is as strong as his power, and neither knows measure nor end.
‘Tis Jesus the first and the last, whose Spirit shall guide us safe home;
We’ll praise him for all that is past, and trust him for all that’s to come.”
Carne Hill Methodist Church – Closed in 2017