Tywardreath, in English ‘The House on the Strand’, lay on the shore of the inlet which ran in from the sea to St Blazey.
In 1135 Richard Fitz-Turold, Lord of Cardinham Castle, founded a Benedictine Priory here which became one of the most notable monastic foundations of Cornwall. In 1540 it came under Henry VIII’s Dissolution of the Monasteries and all that can be seen now are some stones built into houses near the Parish Church.
Daphne du Maurier who lived at Menabilly (the Manderley of ‘Rebecca’) and later at Kilmarth, wrote of Tywardreath and its Priory in her novel ‘ The House on the Strand’.
The Methodist Church in Tywardreath was built in 1828 at the height of mining activity in the area and has been extensively renovated. We are currently having our roof replaced including solar panels, redecoration and renovations of external pointing, windows and doors! All with Bats in mind!!! The chapel is warmed by underfloor heating and a real warm welcome awaits you!